Sunday, December 26, 2010

not-so-guilty pleasure / zucchini cupcakes

Is this the healthiest recipe in the book?  I don't know, but I do feel a lot better about eating Zucchini Cupcakes (page 73) than, say, a butter cake with chocolate ganache.  Not to mention, these little zucchini breads taste amazing, low-fat or not.  I did use whole eggs and brown sugar, but omitted the raisins.  I grated three medium sized zucchinis, which was more than ample for two recipes worth (weight-based).  I used the food processor with the shredding disk to grate the zucchini, and it worked great.  Bake time was on the low end of the range (20 minutes).  The resulting cupcakes are super moist, with great flavor, and they keep well, too.  I will definitely make these again.

Ratings:
Overall - 9
Crumb - 8 / very moist, with a slight chew
Flavor - 9 / just the right amount of sweetness
Appearance - 7 / the surface is a little rough and a bit on the brown side, but the zucchini pieces add nice color
Ease of baking - 6 / grating the zucchini is an extra step, but quick and easy with a food processor


Details:
Bakeware - Muffin tin (makes more than 12--I poured the excess into a ramekin)
Oven temperature - 350 degrees
Bake time - 20 minutes
Notes - I think the cupcakes are a great way to bake this--better and faster than a traditional loaf pan for zucchini bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment